Venture Capital | Enterprise, Deep Tech, Sustainability | Investment
We're calling for tech entrepreneurs, startup leaders or product management leaders considering a move into the VC investment space!
Wavemaker is Southeast Asia’s leading early-stage venture capital firm investing in enterprise, deep tech and sustainability companies that offer innovative solutions and add significant value. Over the last 9 years, we have invested in over 150 companies and our thesis has remained the same:
- We invest in thoughtful founders who have built an internal conviction through experience and reflection and identified a huge opportunity because they see things differently from most other people.
- We invest in scalable, capital-efficient, sustainable businesses that aim to create significant value by solving meaningful problems 10x better than existing options.
Today, we’re a team of 30 incredibly driven and passionate people and we are looking for a Senior Associate or Vice President to join our Investment Team which currently spans across 4 countries in Southeast Asia. As a Senior Associate/VP, you will lead and execute the investment process from sourcing, evaluation and closing through to supporting portfolio companies post-close.
You'll be joining a fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment where you'll have significant input into the creation of a unique, diversified, fast-growing portfolio.
Why work with us?
We put people first!
- We know how much you admire entrepreneurs - their innovation, their grit and their courage. So do we! Our motivations are aligned to invest in and support these entrepreneurs who have the courage to solve meaningful problems.
- We build and nurture a trusted community of successful and inspiring entrepreneurs, advisors and industry experts, seasoned operators, and visionary and progressive investors.
- We believe the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. We’re building a collaborative and supportive team culture where everyone has each other’s backs, where everyone is all hands on deck and contributing equally no matter what role they’re in, and where everyone speaks openly with the intention of helping each other succeed.
- Personal and professional development is central to our culture. We place a significant emphasis on coaching, training, knowledge sharing and feedback, and as a result, equipping you with a strong technical foundation; exposing you to a wide range of industries, markets and technologies; connecting you with inspiring entrepreneurs and experts; and elevating how you show up as a team member and a leader.
- We view wellbeing holistically so for us, it includes physical and mental wellbeing, environmental and social wellbeing, and intellectual and spiritual wellbeing. We run initiatives that ensure all aspects of wellbeing are considered.
How you make an impact
As a senior member of the investment team, you will play a critical role in building our high-performing portfolio, as well as providing leadership for the investment team.
- You identify high-potential startups and market segments through a combination of both inbound and outbound strategies
- You support thesis formation through conducting independent research and analysis with the goal of forming a critical and thoughtful view on potential investment areas
- You articulate the investment thesis in a concise and compelling way
- You lead due diligence processes and deal negotiations
- You support our portfolio companies through making meaningful connections and helping them find solutions to their problems
- You mentor and guide Investment Analysts and Associates on the team to support them in their developmental journey
- You support our initiatives to continuously improve our founder experience through leading and supporting process improvement and community building projects.
What we look for
You put people first!
- You love early stage tech startups and entrepreneurship.
- You believe in the impact that we have on our founders, our community and the world we live in
- You may have built your own tech startup and are looking for a different avenue to make impact
- You may have played a key role in zero-to-one growth or one-to-ten scaling for a tech startup and feel drawn to helping the next generation of startups accelerate their growth
- You may have been a product management leader in a successful growth-stage or late-stage startup and looking for a change in your career trajectory
- Investment / finance background is not required at all, as long as you have a good balance of quantitative and qualitative competencies
- You are intellectually curious and have an unquenchable thirst for knowledge.
- You're not afraid to say, "I don't know", but you pick things up quickly and roll up your sleeves
- You’re a strong critical thinker and you habitually question surface-level information while remaining an eternal optimist
- While remaining flexible and adaptable, you are able to uphold your integrity and conduct yourself in an ethical manner.
- You are independent and self-managed, with a bias for continuous contribution to the team.
- While being laser-focused on your task at hand, you have no problems juggling multiple balls at the same time.
- You are thoughtful and insightful, possessing strong analytical skills and critical thinking skills.
- You can switch easily between working meticulously with a high degree of attention to detail, and looking at the big picture and thinking strategically
- You find it easy and natural to connect with people have the ability to build trust and forge long term relationships with people of all backgrounds
- You are articulate and eloquent both in written and verbal communication